A patient who was declared dead by ambulance workers woke up hours later in hospital.
The person was taken to Darlington Hospital in County Durham by paramedics on Friday having been declared dead following an incident earlier that day.
However, hours later they woke up at the hospital. However, it has been reported that the person has since died.
The North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) apologised to the patient’s family and said an inquiry has begun.
Director of Paramedicine, Andrew Hodge, said: “As soon as we were made aware of this incident, we opened an investigation and contacted the patient’s family.
READ MORE: One of UK’s smallest babies born at just 23 weeks has spent her life in hospital
“We are deeply sorry for the distress that this has caused them.
“A full review of this incident is being undertaken and we are unable to comment any further at this stage.
“The colleagues involved are being supported appropriately and we will not be commenting further about any individuals at this point.”
Six key numbers that can predict your risk of life-threatening Covid[LATEST]
Mapped: Worst hospitals in England for ambulance delays[MAP]
Police investigating baby deaths at Nottingham hospital announce criminal probe[INSIGHT]
The patient has not been identified and their current condition has not been revealed.
The incident comes just five months after a critical report was published into how NEAS ambulance workers had covered up failings and withheld evidence from inquests.
Dame Marianne Griffiths paid tribute to the families who shared their experiences in the wake of her report.
She said: “It is clear that they are not only devastated by the loss of their loved ones but also by the ambulance service’s response to the legitimate questions about their care.”
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Source: Read Full Article